Monday, June 27, 2005

A Post Induced by Too Much Booker's (Single Barrel Bourbon), Too Many Cigarettes, Etc.

CD: This is the post that I’ve been thinking about writing and posting for a while now. A little different from the others. A lot disorganized, and highly unedited. Maybe it’ll get posted, maybe it won’t. Maybe it’s part of a letter to Otis. Maybe I’m a little too bourbon-ified.

This is hard.

This is not a vacation.

In the best of marriages, no one expects to spend 24-7 with her husband. It’s certainly making me remember how much I love David, but I face another four? five?, six? weeks with some trepidation.

I’m crying too much. I have no idea why. David says, “I’m allowed to be emotional”,… but why exactly am I crying?

I hate the loss of control.

David listens to music. And, I gotta say, the evolving welcome to the world track that we’ve been listening to – lots of Loudon, some Bruce, some Neil Young, whatever – is comforting, but not really my thing. And there’s only so much comfort you can take from the distraction the political and historical tomes I’ve brought provide.

I guess I’m writing to force myself into that analytical, calm format that is either me or the way I present myself to the world.

I hate feeling like I’m a 20-year old with a new boyfriend again, hating when it feels like he’s flirting with his old girlfriend… maybe his current girlfriend?... when the caregiver comes to get him and calls him “Rachman,” to which he does not respond (good or bad?), pinching his little thigh until he responds, while he looks back at us, “Why are they going?”

I hate not being in control. (DJ-there’s a newsflash-me too, as our good friend Ralph, has pointed out about me, and it applies you too, I always have to be right.)

And, I hate that so much revolves around whether our friends and family – that is, the life in which we have become so comfortable – are reading and responding to what we’ve written. Because writing has gotten so important. And we (I?) miss the familiarity so much.

This is so not a vacation.

Also I (we) miss Bruno. (DJ-I dream about Bruno)

Actually, writing helps a lot. The act of re-reading and rewriting -- OK, editing -- is calming.

I know how much I love my husband because he is about to/has just read this.

DJ: I light her cigarette, then mine and start to type. No, this is not a vacation, this is a process, this is how we get, for us, from three to four. It costs, it costs money, more than money, it costs time, time away from our jobs, our families, our dog, our friends, our comforts and vices. It costs dealing with bullshit about socks and watching them put OUR son in flannel PJ’s when it’s 85 degrees and keeping your mouth shut because he’s not YOUR son yet MF, from people we’re smarter than on their best day (And yes we’ve been lucky enough to be born American, white and upper middle class and they’re none of the above.) And yet, when that barely formed, drooling little creature tucks his head into my neck with that acne from his face not being wiped and cradle cap that these, over-worked people can’t keep up with, (but these MF’s are looking askance at the fat, prosperous gringos who are taking their sweet little Rachman away, the future of their nation), well FUCK IT, we’ll eat their shit for the next six weeks or whatever it fucking takes, and yes, I’ll quit smoking and yes, CD will wear socks, and jump through the rest of the fucking hoops, because that moment when that little boy nuzzles your neck and falls asleep in your arms makes ALL the bullshit, pain, fear and self-doubt look like small beer indeed.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there guys!!! You are really doing fine. Everyone at home is thinking of you and supporting you and checking this blog all the time for updates. I can't imagine it is an easy time at all but just know what a bright future you are building. I know that we are all pulling for you!

Jessica

June 27, 2005 3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pace yourself. Quite frankly, it never gets easier just different. I dropped Grace off at sleep away camp this past Friday and cried through the Pocano mountains. I was, however, sockfree - couldn't imagine having to go through parenting with hosiery.

June 27, 2005 3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Candace and David,

I read your postings every day and never, ever get tired of seeing Otis' beautiful little self interacting with your beautiful selves. Be he draped, snugged, sweaty, drooly, or peeking around wide-eyed, the little guy is endlessly enchanting. Keep sending lotsa pictures!!

Your latest post really touched me, Candace. Your love for Otis is growing and opening your heart (and making you feel vulnerable and tender). And since you share it so generously, your web of friends and well-wishers get to have a good cry, open their hearts, and fall more deeply in love, too.

I'm not imagining it; Those of us who are following your adventure are really cranking up the support....

Take good care.

June 28, 2005 1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, loss of control. Something any parent, regardless of how he or she camae to be one, can empathize with. Usually it's the little bugger(s) wresting control, however subtly or insidiously, though; it's gotta suck to have it be the Red Tape enforcers doing it.

Try to look at all the indignities, large and small, as some of the sacrifices (among millions) that you'll be making for the wee one. He may never thank you, but he'll reward you all the same...

Olivia amazes and charms me anew every day. Otis will do the same for you, and you'll never have to wonder whether it was all worth it.

And don't forget that you have a much bigger fan base than most, and we're cheering our hearts out.

Maybe you should try toe socks and see how that goes over...

June 28, 2005 1:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi guys we read your blog every day and i'm so happy for the three of you.Otis is greatttttttttt and i can;t wait for all of us to meet him (James Anastasia Vincent).HANG in there and don't let the bullshit get to you.Our thoughts are with you.

June 28, 2005 4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Candace it is very difficult to make changes at your time of life but I know you and David will be great parents. In some ways it is good that the Kazakh orphanage is so protective of him but he will blossom with an atmosphere of freedom sheltered by love. Your home in Brooklyn will provide that. Otis Rachman seems like a kid who will thrive in any environment. I hope that environment is your home on Atlantic Avenue.

However, play it their way. It is their country, you are guests. Rachman is under their custody. Show them what they want to see and fuck what they think. Just worry about what they will do. You do what they want so they will do what you want. Play the part of the perfect prospective parents. They are giving you the cues. Then you take Otis Rachman home and he is yours and you have the final word.

Have you heard of the Kazakh's refusing to give a couple a child?

BTW: It is a good idea for both of you to quit smoking. If Mom had quit smoking when I was born, we would still have her now.

June 28, 2005 2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guys - Even without Bookers and cigarettes, parenthood opens up a world of feeling vulnerable and helpless...in a good way, of course. Not a day goes by that I don't feel heartsick and fearful about the world my kids are growing up in. I used to scoff at my Dad when he told me that there's a type of love that you can only experience as a parent. Now I understand.

June 28, 2005 4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Morfar--just finished your last blogs--not much I can do to help Isuppose you don't need the the pip-pip, chin up and persevere bit and try not to be too testy with the people who are running the show. You are veterans when it comes to dealing with bureauracracy--All bureauracracies are the same the world over--I am sure you can handle these guys. Swallow hard and try not to blow your tops. Things like this serve to remind me why, at least in part, I became a professor--SO I WOULDN'T HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS KIND OF STUFF. A tenurered full professor can play Achilies in his tent--the Dean has to ask you to come out and join the fray, he can't order you to come out. Thanks for telling your Ma why dogs eat grass--she doesn't believe me when I tell her--Bruno is NOT frobidden to eat grass. The grass in our back yard is OK all its had is fertillizer and lime two months ageo--no weed killer nor insecticide. I do think his trouble came from eating grass at the side of the road--no telling what's been on it. I keep him from eating grass on our walks. Bruno is great--every morning we growl over squeeky man--he chases him down --I grab him and take the squeeky one away --then throw it again for him to chase down--and so on.

Love Dad

June 28, 2005 9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was following your blog while we were in Spain. We just returned to the US and can't believe what i missed.....Otis is amazing.

I just spent some time reading over your entries, how incredible, thank you for sharing your experience....

All of the emotions you are feeling are just the beginning of the parenting journey....what a long, strange trip it will be. I dropped off Aliya at sleep away camp for the first time yesterday. I can't believe she will be away from me for seven weeks. I have been crying so hard for the past week in anticipation of her departure that i feel like i have a permanent headache...(she emailed me today and said that she is having SO MUCH fun, there was also a pix on the camp website this afternoon of her smiling in the center of a bunch of girls...I hope they are not MEAN GIRLS...)

I love you guys, hang in, I can't wait to hang with Otis on Pacific Street. Aliya is looking forward to the babysitting $$ and Jake could use a little teasing from Bruno....

Lots of love,
Karen

June 29, 2005 5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought your introspective piece on spending 24/7 with David, etc. was beautiful and very moving. My one comment is that you will soon wish you could "bank" the time you are spending with David, since once you get home with your son, you will relish time together, particularly time when you are not just ready to fall asleep.

My very best

July 12, 2005 2:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home